Composting and the use of home-composters have increased in popularity over the past decade, now more and more people are using food waste caddies and composters to reduce their household waste and greenhouse gases. It is not just keen gardeners that are now turning to composting, it has become one the the most efficient and effective ways to reduce your general, food and garden waste, whilst also producing usable compost as a result.
Composters come in all shapes and sizes, many people when they hear the word, only think of the garden waste composter. In this waste receptacle, we put any garden waste, such as flowers, grass, trees, soil and hedge trimmings. These, when left overtime will break down and turn into compost, to be used for future gardening needs. However, there are also food caddies which can be used to reduce your food waste consumption, and again breaks down into compost. You can use these caddies when disposing of expired products, peelings, trimmings, and unwanted leftovers. Many people who use composters and food caddys don’t always fully understand the different items that can and cannot be put into these in order to bio-degrade efficiently, luckily Cromwell has you covered:
- Food and meal leftovers, any uneaten food and plate scrapings
- Food which has exceeded it’s expiry date (even if they have started to decay and mould)
- Dairy products such as cheese and butter
- Eggs, including the shell
- Bread, cakes, biscuits and pastries
- Raw and cooked meat and fish, including bones
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Raw and cooked vegetables, fruit, peelings (even if they have started to decay and mould)
- Grains and pulses including rice, pasta and beans
- Compostable liners and newspaper
- Packaging e.g. drink cartons, bottle tops
- Liquids e.g. milk, oil, liquid fat
- Plastic bags or bin liners
- Wet wipes
Food caddies are becoming more widely used and are soon set to be a household staple, we supply a range of compostable sacks and caddy liners to fit all standard sizes that support food and organic waste management strategies. See our range of caddy products here.
Reduce your waste and produce your own eco-friendly compost with food caddies and join in the movement to help make a greener planet.